How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 6
Global Justice Alliance

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Happy Happy Holidays.........

Visited my mom in the hospital today, she's been there 3 days now. Tomorrow I am told she will be sent to a nursing home for physical rehab. It is oonly supposed to be temporary.

Temporary
    Temporary
    I am hopng if I keep thinking that it will be true.

At least she looks & seems well-off. Maybe it's just the morphine. The battle with crippling arthritis and adema became unbearable in recent weeks. Just hoping specialized therapy can help her get back home. She definitely wants to do that, and resume a resonabley normal life.

We are a family of die hard fighters, so there's that. Everyone on bothe sides battled their health problems until literallly dropping dead.

4 me the meds I take at least keeps me from going to far deep into depression and paranoia. But being suddenly alone it's hard not to notice how large, dark and silent this house is right now. And I just can't warm up, no matter how much I cover up. I guess ths post is more about me, than anything...which is selfish and stupid. It is time to nut up or shut up.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your mother, BB. I know how hard that can be on my end of things. Sometimes the post can be about you, to get things out, and I can understand that at times which are very trying. So it really isn't selfish or stupid, just human, and that's okay. We'll keep your mother in our prayers. Hang in there.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Exalted Member kyojikasshu's Avatar
    Well, for me, this is going to be more like, "How was your year?", since it's been a while...

Back in August - right before my Labor Day break, in fact - I found out that I was losing my job at the end of November because the customer I was working at had decided to end their contract with my company for the site I was at, closing down my office. I knew the customer was looking to downsize space again, but this still came as a bit of a shock to me.

The good news is that my company immediately directed me and my co-worker to apply for other jobs in the area within the company so that we could continue working, keep our benefits, and all that. The bad news is that my coworker was almost immediately assigned to temporarily fill a position at another customer, only for him to get hired in directly at that site (and it was a position I also interviewed for, too), leaving me alone in the lame-duck office, and basically being forced to stay on until the bitter end because of an ongoing remote-support high-end project that I had been doing for eight years, which I had to transfer the materials and instructions for to a site in another state that's staying open. This made it a bit difficult for me to be available for interviews and such, and it also completely killed my plans for vacation days that would've occurred between September and November, because without anyone to back me up, I had to be in the office every working day.

Now, the really good news is that one of the first positions I applied for, but didn't get an interview for right away, was held open for quite a while, and I did get an interview in early October for that job. A deal was eventually reached to close the old site a few weeks early so that I could then, finally, take my new job - with a long-overdue boost in my pay that takes effect in January, to boot.

So, I've moved from one corporate environment to another. From a site that had basically turned into a ghost town due to its workforce having long gone mobile, and thus having no need to come in to the office on a daily basis, to an office that, due to the nature of the work, is busy every single day, so there's plenty to do. It's also nice to be part of a larger team, and having customers who see me every day, are getting to know me, and are appreciative of what I bring to the table. It's very tiring, as I've gone from what was basically had been a desk job for the past decade to being a hell of a lot more active, but my soon-to-be-44-year-old body is already adapting to the grind. And sure, there are frustrations to be had at times, what with deadlines and such, and I'm still learning things as I go, but it's been pretty good.

And I also really like my new manager far, far more than my last one. For one thing, I get to see him regularly, and even if he's at another site, I can still reach out to him easily enough if there's something the team can't help me with (or if there's just something that needs his personal attention). And he's done his damnedest to get me back some of the vacation time I couldn't use at my old site - I'm still going to lose some time (we can only carry over a max of 5 days into the first quarter of the new year, the rest is use it or lose it), but under the circumstances he's been very accommodating, particularly since he waited for weeks to be able to get me into the job. It's a far cry from having an out-of-state manager who I can't even recall if I've ever met in person - if so, it was once, many, many years ago, and long before becoming my direct manager, and that manager not having any experience with the goings-on at my particular site. It also didn't help that this was the latest in a series of out-of-state managers.

Though I will miss my original manager, who had long ago transitioned into a national position managing a specific portion of our company's contract with that customer. Even though he hasn't been my direct manager in a long time, he still remained more helpful to me than any of the other managers I had there.

There were some other issues this year, resulting in some financial hardships for me, but at this point of the year, things are starting to get back on track, and I'm optimistic about my personal situation going forward.

Sounds like a winning situation after all, Kyoji. Good to hear.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Well, today I finished all my gift-wrapping and ornament work! I wrapped all the gifts I'm giving this afternoon, then after dinner I personalized all my hand-made ornaments (which I finished building on Friday). Personalizing involves writing each recipient's first name on the side of the ornament with a gold-ink pen. After that part was completed (doing 33 of the 40 I built - I always have a few extra left), I wrapped each one in tissue paper then packed them in gift bags. Now my holiday prep work is completed, and I can actually enjoy Christmas without worrying about meeting a deadline! (Although I still have to pack & ship ornaments to relatives who live out of town - but that I can do towards the end of this week.)
    And I'm going to visit some friends on Christmas Eve, delivering most of the ornaments then.
    So let the revelry begin!
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 01-13-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Don't give me that "It never happened" line. We showed up at the appointed place and time and scored more points than the other guys. That's called winning, baby!

Name:  20181227_135933045_iOS.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.1 KB

Kudos, campy! I finally got my security and policy indoctrination today at the office today, as well as teaching on the EMR. Monday, I go in and get introduced to the patients.
    "Say the Word"

Yesterday I packed and mailed all my remaining ornaments, to relatives out of town. Then I went & used a couple of gift cards I got for Xmas at my local Barnes & Noble (I bought a Star Trek book that looked interesting). Today - right now, as a matter of fact - I'm doing laundry so I have clean clothes to wear to work tomorrow (Yes; I have to work on New Year's Eve, but the office closes at 6 PM and doesn't reopen until Jan. 2).

I'm glad you have work, TWD. After four months of inactivity, I finally will start seeing dialysis patients in my new job on Wednesday. It's part time for now, but should work up to full employment in a few months. Of course, I had anticipated all this and have been living on my emergency slush fund I had accumulated just for this purpose. So now I can start building up some reserves again.
    "Say the Word"

I'm spending the weekend at home, recovering from a nasty head cold. It was so bad, I spent most of yesterday resting in bed - actually sleeping in the afternoon - instead of running my usual weekend errands. I did spend an hour outside helping my brother put away some of the outdoor decorations after he took them down (he always does it as early as possible, both to avoid bad weather & to discourage vandals and thieves). But I felt so lousy, all I could do is rest & watch TV. In fact, I slept until almost 1 PM today.
    I'm thinking quite seriously about calling in sick from work tomorrow. I'm going to lose a day's pay (I'm a temp, remember? No sick days), but I need to recover from this ASAP.