How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 33
Global Justice Alliance

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I did my grocery shopping today, so tomorrow I can help my brother with some (but not all) of the work putting up the Christmas decorations on our house - we're taking advantage of the relatively mild weather to get it done. I also filled out some more forms on-line regarding a possible job from another temp agency (I filled out forms for a different job offer yesterday); and now I'm awaiting word on either position.
    Today would have been the start of Windycon, the SF convention whose dealer's room I've been running for the last four years, but since it's been cancelled due to the pandemic we're running an on-line event called Breezy Con in its place. I'm helping out by moderating the chat pages on the website - so far, it's been easy. No one's been rude or obnoxious; the worst things I've seen posted were some misspelled words! But if that's the worst I see this weekend, well then I'll be glad.
    I still wish we were doing a real con, though. *sigh* Maybe next year....

Registered User Veteran Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    It's been quiet for the last few days, we have only about an hours worth of work to do in the house so the remodel is done.

What would have been the last day of Windycon has come and gone. I kept looking at my watch all day, and thinking about what I would be doing at the time if we were holding the con (I've done this convention for so many years I've got the dealer's room daily schedule committed to memory!). I did keep looking in at the chat rooms for Breezy Con, our on-line substitute, in order to carry out my moderator duties there, but in the end I had nothing really to do. Everyone who posted on-line was polite and well-behaved (like I said yesterday), so all I did was simply read the various conversations and keep remembering the past in-person conventions.
    Even at the real con, when it finally came to an end on Sunday night I couldn't feel unhappy because I could look forward to Chambanacon, that convention held downstate over Thanksgiving weekend every year. I never worked at Chambanacon; just relaxed and had a good time. But not this year! That convention was cancelled this year too because of the pandemic. Those convention weekends were my only real "vacations" I've been able to take in recent years, and this year I feel they've been stolen from me.
    Well, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I helped vote the current inept administration out of the White House. Hopefully, with a new President taking office in January, we can get this virus under control in this country so we can restart our economy - and I can go back to work somewhere.

I apologize for my rant; I'm not trying to stir up trouble by talking politics here. It's just that I feel frustrated over my life being thrown out of whack by all that's been going on lately. No one in my family has the COVID-19 virus, nor do I know anyone who's died from it; but I lost my job due to the pandemic back in June and I'm still trying to find work.

I have had several family members who have had CV19, step mother died from it. Others close to us have had it....kiddies it's nothing to fool around with. Today was the wife's birthday also grandma's but she passed in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel103 View Post
    I have had several family members who have had CV19, step mother died from it. Others close to us have had it....kiddies it's nothing to fool around with. Today was the wife's birthday also grandma's but she passed in 1980.
    I'm sorry to hear of your stepmother's death, Sentinel. I hope your other family members are recovering OK. I've heard that COVID-19 can leave some nasty aftereffects in some patients - damaging their muscle control, physical stamina - that sort of thing. And those aftereffects can last a long time, too.

She was old, in a nursing home and was a multiple cancer survivor. Covid19 can exploit weakened immune systems. My brother's kids I worry about. Another brother who doesn't believe it is real....well there isn't anything I can do for people who believe they are invincible.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I too am very sorry, Sentinal, about your stepmother. My condolences to you and the family. COVID will continue to be a problem for some time until the vaccine is out. Unfortunately, any measures the government, no matter who's in office, can do no more than slow the spread of the virus, but they cannot stop it. We will need the vaccine for that. I deal with it every day at my job. I get tested twice a week for the virus.
    "Say the Word"

Jer I think roll out of the vaccine is going to take at least 6 months before most Americans get both doses. I am trying to plan an in person event scheduled for April, but we are planning to do it virtually too. And the plan is for me to take over the leadership of a local chapter of a national charity outfit and lead it for 2 years. I've been in the organization for 20 years and from what I've seen it's like trying to herd monkeys....my liquor supplies are going to take a beating.

Like I mentioned in the weather thread, today I cleaned all the windows in our house. Tomorrow I'll be replacing a broken pull-cord on a woven-bamboo window blind in Mom's room.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 11-20-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Getting the priory ready for a C&I or C&A in the spring. It's like trying to herd monkeys.