How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 29
Global Justice Alliance

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I sifted through my e-mails with job offers while doing my laundry this afternoon. Applied for a file clerk job out here in the 'burbs, but I don't know yet if they'll even grant me an interview. It's all part of the game when it comes to job hunting.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    To add insult to injury,not only did my AC totally go out, so did my water heater. I finally got that replaced today, as it was 9 years old, and had not been serviced apparently all that time, so it was completely caked up inside. I meant to do that, but things just got in the way. The same company will come in tomorrow and spend all day replacing the AC unit as well. Since that unit was 24 years old, I really had no choice but to replace it. Unfortuantely, it's also going to cost me a small fortune.
    "Say the Word"

Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    To add insult to injury,not only did my AC totally go out, so did my water heater. I finally got that replaced today, as it was 9 years old, and had not been serviced apparently all that time, so it was completely caked up inside. I meant to do that, but things just got in the way. The same company will come in tomorrow and spend all day replacing the AC unit as well. Since that unit was 24 years old, I really had no choice but to replace it. Unfortuantely, it's also going to cost me a small fortune.
    That's OK - one year not too long ago, our hot water heater conked out on us on New Year's Eve! We had no other choice but to go out to the local home-repair store (Home Depot, IIRC) to get a replacement, and my brother got a plumber friend of his to install it the very next day.

Quote Originally Posted by TransWarpDrive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    That's OK - one year not too long ago, our hot water heater conked out on us on New Year's Eve! We had no other choice but to go out to the local home-repair store (Home Depot, IIRC) to get a replacement, and my brother got a plumber friend of his to install it the very next day.
    I wish it were okay, considering how much money I had to spend over the last two days on these two major repairs, it's going to take me several years to recoup the losses. I didn't have any friends who could come over and do the work for me.....

At least the AC is running again and the house is cooled down to a balmy 75. I've put away the fans and the window AC unit. And I have hot water.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Mrs. campy & I took our granddaughter to meet her kindergarten teacher today. She's supposed to start in-person classes on Monday. We'll see how long that lasts.

Today I did my laundry, and washed the towels for the upstairs bathroom. I also picked up my new glasses (both pairs) from the optometrist because they'd just come in. I needed to replace my old pairs, since it's been six years since I got the last prescription and my eyes have changed in that time. The new glasses are OK - both distance and computer - especially the computer glasses because the screen was beginning to look a little blurry with the old pair on.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I went grocery shopping this morning. Later I updated my iPhone to iOS 14. Now I no longer have to have a home screen icon for every app on my phone. It's almost like being back on Windows Phone!
    Last edited by campy; 09-16-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Had a productive morning. Did some yardwork before it got too hot. Then did some grading and writing. Then grocery shopping. Afternoon's been kind of light so far--some more grading as students submit their work. I find that it goes better if I get the early birds graded as they come in so that I don't get swamped so bad later. Sketching out the plot outlines for the summer episodes of Double Entendre (including a tribute to Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee) and working on "Kiss of the Raptor", my Star Trek Online/Mass Effect crossover--like I said earlier, the people who've been following that story have been VERY patient so I figure I owe it to them to prioritize that story for now. Haven't decided on dinner tonight. Hope you all are having a great day!

Nothing much happening. Did some laundry. Revised some wording on my Queen's Gambit Accepted story on FF.net (It's better, campy). It's a good thing it's rated M or I couldn't have done that new scene..... Enjoying my new AC which is so quiet, I don't even hear it turn on. New water heater is working fine. My bank account is a lot poorer...........and I start my new job on Monday.
    "Say the Word"

Went to buy Mom a new minutes card for her cell phone, and applied for two jobs on-line. I also just ordered the next two Longmire books on Amazon: As The Crow Flies, and A Serpent's Tooth. They should arrive this Saturday.