How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 30
Global Justice Alliance

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I went grocery shopping in the morning. On the way home I tried to pick up a wine order I placed online a few days ago, but the shop changed their hours without notice and was closed when I got there.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Today I made a run to two stores - the grocery store to buy stuff for dinner, and Office Max to buy some Sharpie pens (ultra fine point) because I need a new supply. I also did my laundry, then scanned my e-mails for any job prospects (no luck there).

Graded papers, got some work done on "Kiss of the Raptor", watched some nature programming on BBC America, and managed to get some work done around the house. Tomorrow's dinner at my sister's mother-in-law's and wrapping up this week's grading and psyching myself up for grading midterms. The semester's moving fast.

I scrubbed the floor in the master bathroom this morning. Then I went out to buy some eggs. Later I accidentally discovered that one of the doors on my Volvo doesn't lock. I wonder how long that's been the case?

Folded a whole bunch of freshly-washed bath & hand towels for the 2nd floor bathroom today (we were completely out of clean stuff). Also started reading a new Longmire mystery book, and then installed a video camera on my computer. Got it hooked up just in time for my brother-in-law's on-line memorial Tuesday night. I'll also be able to use the camera for my on-line Windycon meetings.

Dropped my car off at the shop this afternoon to have the front brakes done. After dinner we went on-line for my brother-in-law's memorial service. Unfortunately, my new web camera didn't link up with the Zoom meeting we held - everyone else could hear me, but not see me. After the service, I went on-line and downloaded an updated driver for the camera. And tomorrow morning, I'm going to call my sister's house, and enlist my nephew-in-law's aid in diagnosing the problem - we're going to try another Zoom link-up, and see if my new driver did the trick.
    And then, of course, I'll pick my car up from the shop once it's done.
    Still no progress on the job search, BTW. I certified for my unemployment benefits for the past two weeks on-line Monday, however.
    EDIT: I also did my laundry today, now that Mom & my brother have done theirs, and all the boxes from us putting up the outdoor Halloween decorations have been put away.

Just finished grading midterms for three of my four classes--the 12 week session has theirs at the end of the month. Sister and her hubby had to go north for a wedding, so I'm ferrying their son to and from work--his first job! Mom and Dad were very clear, he doesn't get a car until he can afford three months insurance in advance...

I took my Volvo in for service because of the non-locking door I discovered a couple of weeks ago. They had to order a part after looking at it, so that's still not fixed, but I did get a software update while I was there. They also tightened the bolts holding the windshield wipers on, as per a recall letter I received the other day. And I got to play with a few nice 2020 and 2021 Volvos too.

Did my weekly grocery shopping today because tomorrow, the three of us are going to thoroughly clean our back porch - which includes removing the screens, and hosing the whole structure down. We haven't cleaned that porch in a couple years, and it looks it - very grimy & cluttered with junk. Some of that junk is old electronic devices which I need to haul off to a local suburb's recycling center, which takes old electronics off your hands for free. I just need to go on-line, and verify that they're still doing that program, and double-check the hours & location.
    And then this coming Monday, we're going to have both our furnace & central A/C unit replaced. The contractor said we can expect his trucks no later than 8:15 AM local time, which means we all have to get up early that day.
    Yeah, this weekend, and the beginning of next week, look to be really busy around Chez TWD.....
    EDIT: Yesterday I boxed up a bunch of stuff to haul off to my storage cubicle sometime next week. I'm in the process of "de-cluttering" my room, and am sorting thru stuff to decide what to keep & what to get rid of. I've already filled one heavy-duty trash bag with refuse, although most of the stuff in my room I want to keep - I'll just box it up & schlep it off to the cubicle.
    The trick is deciding what to keep handy & what to store.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 10-10-2020 at 12:30 AM.

My back & elbows still ache from all the lifting & hauling we did yesterday morning cleaning our back porch. Furniture; our gas grill; concrete garden statues; junk to be thrown out - all that had to be carried off the porch so we could sweep it out then hose it down thoroughly. And that included taking all the screens off the porch and hosing them off too. And then we had to carry everything back onto the porch when we were done cleaning.
    I'm just glad it's done now, and we won't have to worry about doing it again for another year.