How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 13
Global Justice Alliance

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Enjoying having four days off in a row, but tomorrow I have to get back to work. I'm continuing to make progress on the 3D model, and preparing for my talk on Thursday.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    We had a shelf/closet rod fall off the wall in our storage room here at the condo. I had to remount it more securely, with brackets screwed into the wall studs. I hope it stays up this time.

Yesterday I took my car for its annual state inspection, and had a veterinarian make a house call to give my cats their annual checkups.

It was an interesting day. I went with friends to visit the Perot Scence adn nature meuseum in downtown Dallas. There was a special exhibit of fossil boes from South Africa which would only appear here in the United States for this one exhibition. It was an exhibition of some recent Hominid finds recently of a whole new speicies of one of our ancestors named Homo Nedali. This ancestor species lives about 250,000 to 150,000 years ago, about the same time as our own speces Homo Sapiens was present. (Homo Sppiens is thought ot have appears about 250,000 years ago.) It appears to support he notion that the dvelopment of modern humans was not down a single genetic line, but instead of several geentic lines that separated then crossed again with each other at multiple crosspoints over time to several most recent speicies of which we are the only ones to survive tot he present. Dang! I should have gotten pictures. Completely forgot to do that.......
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    These last few days have been interesting for me. Thursday night I went to see Don McLean in concert at the City Winery (1200 W. Randolph St., Go City). He performed a number of his songs, especially "American Pie," "Vincent," and "And I Love You So," as well as songs originally sung by Roy Orbison and Elvis Presley (to name a few). I got some really good shots with my digital camera this time - it helps to review the operating manual beforehand, as well as resetting the camera! What with all the fidgeting I did with the settings over the past couple of years, I knocked the shutter speed & aperture control out of whack. That's probably why I'd been having such bad results up until now. Anyway, the pix I took turned out great - it also helps to have a seat right up front, near the stage!
    I also got my picture taken with Don - a $20 meet-and-greet opportunity right after the show! (Yes; they charged fans to have their photos taken with him. If you ask me, it's well worth it.) That's when I took the opportunity to tell him that I'd included "American Pie" on my mix CD of songs from late 1971. He suggested I buy his DVD which has all sorts of behind-the-scenes info about the song (oddly enough, I didn't see a DVD listed on the "Shop" page of his website just now...).
    All in all, I had a great time - even if I did have to spend an hour and a half on the Kennedy Expressway driving into the the city that night!!

Today, we are enduring all manner of bangs and booms as they put new siding on our house and garage. We had hail damage in a recent storm, and Mom's homeowner's insurance covered it, so they're out here right now, pounding on the outside of the house to get it on before the sun sets. (They may have to come back tomorrow to finish if they don't get everything done today.) I had to take a few fragile items off my shelves so all the pounding wouldn't knock them down and break them. Remarkably, only a couple of small items fell off with no damage done (so far).

I'm hoping to get my laundry done either today or tomorrow. I'll need to have it all washed so I can pack for my trip downstate to Chambanacon this coming Friday.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 11-24-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Mrs. campy & I had a meeting with our financial advisor this morning, then we went out to lunch.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I went to work this AM, fully expecting to find my cubicle decorated for my birthday. Alas, 'twasn't so. This afternoon, I sent my boss a subtle reminder ("...did you forget something? HINT: I'm a year older today."), only to get a reply saying, "OMG - I thought it was tomorrow!" She then promised to treat me & two other co-workers to a birthday potluck lunch tomorrow. So we'll see what happens....
    Mom gave me a Star Wars-themed birthday card & a new Hallmark Star Trek ornament for my birthday. The ornament is the Starship Enterprise as seen in the first Trek movie, released 40 years ago this December.

We went to my sister's place in NYC for T-day. Since we're retired we were able to drive down Wednesday and return today, after enjoying a great dinner of duck and several delicious sides. The dessert was two pies made by Mrs. campy: one apple and one pecan/cranberry/white chocolate.

I spent Thanksgiving with a good friend of mine.
    "Say the Word"