How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 17
Global Justice Alliance

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

The second COVID positive in my county was detected last night and this individual is a student at the campus I teach at. Students and teachers who might have come into contact with said student have been notified and as I only found out through the campus news bulletin, and have received no such notification, for now, at least, I can rest a little easier. I feel sorry for my nephew--he's a senior in high school and it's looking like he's not going to have any prom or graduation memories.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    My county has seven confirmed cases so far. No deaths. (In Texas at present, we have a total of 224 confirmed cases and 3 deaths overall.) I'm technically in a higher risk group due to age, but I think most of the those cases that are severe are due in part to genetics. Being a stay at home kind of guy anyway, my life style has not been altered much at all. However, depending on what happens in the next two to three weeks, I may have to change a couple of things, like actually get groceries delivered.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Mrs. campy & I went to the warehouse club this morning. It was very crowded and the meat shelves were picked pretty clean at 9:30 am. There was plenty of toilet paper for sale, though (Charmin, in 24-packs). The line for the cash registers snaked all the way to the back of the store, but I was able to bypass the registers by scanning and paying with their iPhone app.
    Last edited by campy; 03-20-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Wow. so there's hope for the rest of us TP deprived folks.. I scored some 91% alcohol for cleaning purposes. But I do also have plenty of bleach, so I'm covered. Another day at home, just piddling around fixing stuff that needs fixing. It's been raining cats and dogs lately, so I haven;t been able to go out into the yard area to do some weeding. It's starting to need it again. I'll need to buy some cedar mulch to over those areas again.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Illinois has 1,049 cases of the virus, including 9 deaths. Our governor's issued a "stay-at-home" order for all non-essential workers until April 7th. I'm lucky - that doesn't include me, so I'm still able to work. The logistics company I temp for is a vital part of the nation's supply chain, bringing stuff like machinery, car parts, and other cargo into the US to be delivered to factories & warehouses around the country. So I'm needed to help put together, process, and file the paperwork on all these shipments. We can still go to our grocers, pharmacies, and gas stations as needed; and many restaurants around here are selling food "to go" - either by curbside pick-up, or delivery - so they're still in business even though their dining areas are closed. We just can't go to the cinemas, taverns, concert halls, or sporting events due to the crowds involved (and the attendant risk of infection). Not to mention all the non-essential stores that are closed as well.
    It's crazy, but we'll get through this. If only certain federal officials (and I mention NO NAMES here!) had been quicker to respond when this virus first made itself known back in January, we probably wouldn't be going through all this right now. But hey - that's just me, blowing off steam by expressing my feelings.
    I'll get down off the soapbox now....

Gov. DeSantos isn't issuing a state-wide stay at home order yet, but individual counties and cities in the state are doing it. Hillsborough county is considering it and so is the city of Tampa. We restart the semester next week strictly online with only essential personnel reporting in to the college, so I'll be working from home for the rest of the semester. Pretty much all of the restaurants in the area are curbside pickup or delivery--Jim's Smokin' Ribs is offering a $20.00 rib dinner for two I'd snap up if I weren't trying to lose weight. I'm going a little easier on the Feds--it's tough to prep for something like this given the type of society we have now and the large size and population of this country. We will get through this, but some businesses will end up closing, I'm afraid. Comic book and gaming shops were already on thin ice--this just drives the final nail in their coffin, and other industries such as movie theaters are also going to undergo downsizing as more and more studios I think are going to turn to early release streaming.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    MA Dept. of Health has announced the first confirmed virus case here in the home of America's First Public Library (Closed For the Duration).

The Governor of Texas has issued orders for non-essential businesses to be closed, though restaurants can still do take out orders. The streets in Denton are pretty deserted just like everywhere else, I'm sure. Now that the sun has come out, I started working the yard and cleaning out weeds, raking up old leaves (really had not done that since fall), generally just cleaning up the area. I use a little Roundup on the driveways and walkways to keep the weeks down, but nowhere else. If you handle that stuff properly, there is virtually no risk. Staying at home, trying to find something worthwhile on Netflix to watch (There isn't anymore), working on the computer, trying to find a job........which actually I think I have done so. It looks like I've been accepted to do some locums work up in Oregon of all places. They want me to do about a week a month starting in June. That will give me enough funds to last the year. There is the COVID-19 risk, of course, anytime you work in a hospital, but that will be minimized as much as can be done. I'm looking into that as are my recruiters. But as Hiccup said on 'How to Train Your Dragon', "We're vikings, It's an occupational hazard."
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    My brother-in-law died today.
    Mom told me about it when I got home from work. From what my sister told her on the phone, he asked for a glass of water in bed this morning. After drinking it, he laid back down, rolled over, and just stopped breathing. My sister performed CPR on him (she was coached by the 911 operator she'd called) until the EMTs arrived, but it was too late - he was gone.
    He had been diagnosed with esophogeal cancer (sp?) a few months ago, and they figured out it was pretty much a death sentence for him (he'd been treated for other forms of cancer previously), but we all thought he had more time left than this.
    I was stunned to hear this. My relationship with my BIL hadn't been all that great; after I spent a month working for him at a local office-supply company in the Go City 'burbs 40 years ago (this very month, in fact), I came to regard him with an intense and utter loathing. He'd been "on my back" almost from day one, criticizing everything I did on that job; yelling at me when I made honest mistakes as well as ridiculing me for not being more like him, so naturally I came to resent him. And even after I quit that job, he still needled me at family gatherings, always having a snide put-down aimed my way.
    In recent years, though, he'd mellowed somewhat. The last few times I remember talking with him, we actually had pleasant conversations during which he treated me with respect. So I must admit I feel somewhat guilty about my anger toward him over the years. Did I really hate him that much? At times I did; other times not so much.
    All I know right now is I'm sorry he's gone - especially for my sister's sake. They were very close; she met him while she was in college at the U. of Illinois Circle Campus (here in Go City), and they'd been married since 1976. They had three kids, the oldest of whom is herself married & the mother of twin daughters.
    From what Mom told me, there's not going to be a funeral right away. Sis is going to have him cremated, and when all these restrictions from the coronavirus are lifted later on, we'll hold a memorial for him.
    But this was totally unexpected. It's the sort of news that stops you right in your tracks, and you don't know quite how to react.

I am so sorry to hear of this, TWD. Please accept my condolences, and I am sure the others here on the forum wish the same for you as well. Esophageal cancer is a pretty bad actor, and can take the patuient quickly in a good number of cases even after only a few months much like pancreatic cancer, so I regret to say it doesn't surprise me he went rather quickly. Depending on the staging of his cancer, the worst cases only have about a 20% survival over two years, and that may have been exacerbated by his previous cancer history. I know that doesn't help much, but I hope to blunt the suddenness of the event. As for your previous problems with him, you're right. It's in the past. It's best to just leave it be, and think of the good things you have had with him, especially for your sister's sake. I'm sure she appreciates your help at this difficult time, as well as the other family members. God Bless.
    "Say the Word"