How Was Your Day? Edition 18 - Page 4
Global Justice Alliance

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Edition 18

Quote Originally Posted by transwarpdrive View Post
    i went to my cancer doctor today, and got some very good news.
    I was scheduled to get a psa blood test. Psa stands for prostate-specific antigen, a protein that is produced by both normal and malignant cells of the prostate gland. A high psa test result indicates that the patient may have prostate cancer. My psa test last july scored 5.5, which caused my doctor to send me to a urologist to have an ultrasound and biopsy performed on my prostate. That's how they found my cancer.
    Now, four months (almost) after having the radioactive implants put in my prostate to kill the cancer, i had another psa screening. This one scored 2.8, which, my doctor said, was about where it should be for me.
    To sum it all up, he said i'm cured! no more cancer!!
    I'm scheduled to have another psa test in early september as a follow-up, and i'll be monitoring this for the rest of my life. But that's ok; it's a small price to pay for extending my life span.
    But let me tell you, it's a relief to hear that news. The last eleven months have been crazy for me - first worrying over how bad the cancer was and how the treatments would affect my life; then over how i was going to pay all the resulting medical bills from trying to fight the disease (fortunately, my job's insurance benefits have handled the bulk of the expenses - what remains i'm able to pay off in monthly installments).
    But now that particular specter no longer hangs over me. I can worry about other things for a change.
    It goes without saying that i went to work straight from the doctor's office in a very good mood today.
    And mom was pleased to hear the results when i told her the news this evening. She smiled from ear to ear.
    Thanks for all your words of encouragement and support, guys. It means the world to me to know you've got my back.

" Awesome Opossum ! "

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Counting down to the last days. My last day of work is this coming Friday, after which I will start moving everything into the new house, 320 miles away......
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Had a productive day at work today. On the way home, I refueled my car, then went to a local car wash I know where they put out carts full of soapy water and long-handled car brushes so customers can pre-scrub their cars before driving them through the wash. I had to do this because this past weekend, I didn't go anywhere - caught a mild head cold, and stayed home. My car was parked under that tree so long that the $#%@!! birds covered it, from the roof back to the trunk, with purple droppings (they've been eating some sort of berries that grow around here - hence the coloring)!!
    I spent about ten minutes just scrubbing that crap until it worked loose enough to come off when sprayed; then I bought the top-end $12 wash to make sure my poor car came clean.
    Then when I got home, I left it out on the street and away from any trees, until after sunset when the birds had gone to sleep before I finally put it away in our driveway.
    I mean the car was filthy...it looked like it had been abandoned for a month, it had so much poop all over it! I was actually ashamed to be seen driving it around; that's how much crud it had all over it.
    But it's clean now, and I feel better about it.
    The crowning irony is, today they felled several trees on the vacant lot to our north so they can begin to build a new house there. If only they'd gotten rid of the one I park my car under....

Well.......It has been a very hectic four weeks or so. I have my new house in The DFW metroplex. I finally have moved the last of my stuff out of West Texas (it took four trips!...using my big 7x16 tandem axle cargo trailer. But it's a lot cheaper than hiring a mover.). I no longer have to pay rent (yay!). Now I just have to unload the last trailer load into the house and the storage unit (only one now). I am looking for some part time work to keep me things fresh on the work side. Phew! changes....changes.......
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Today I settled in to my new cubicle at work. Yesterday they moved me to the other side of the section where I had been for the past year, on the end by an aisle. They did this because two of my coworkers have to communicate with each other frequently on projects, and it makes sense to have them sit together instead of across the aisle and down two places. I really don't mind; I rearranged the way I organize my desk so I make better use of it, and I took advantage of the move to decorate my new cubicle. I printed out some pictures of various aircraft from my home computer files, and taped those up in various places on my cubicle walls. It adds a little color & variety to my work space, and it gives me more to look at than just the generic scenery pictures on my calendars. I also bought another LED desk lamp to brighten up my work space. The way the fluorescent lights are mounted in the ceiling at work, you get shadows in the most inopportune places in each cubicle. The lamps I bought take care of that problem quite nicely, and each one cost me just five and a half bucks at my local Smarty-Mart.

Well, things have been quiet for me. I am now slowly getting my new house in order. Security is my first order of business, and I have been reinforcing the doors. I am also changing out the locks to a higher quality type. My alarm system is up and working and I have some observation cameras on the outside. I've arranged my living room and am setting up the record collection started by my father in the 1950's along with his turntable he bought in 1968 or so. Neither have been out of storage since 2007. It'll be good to have them in the living room again. I have one of my oriental rugs in use in the room as well, so it's starting to get a little more homey for me. Hopefully, I will start doing some temp work in the near future, but I am still looking for now.
    "Say the Word"

Registered User Regular Member sharper1988's Avatar
    So that's pretty much it for work, J?
    My avatar above was created and designed by Slyrr.
    A true K/R, Canderemy, and Phinbella fan!

Maybe, but I'm still looking. I should be able to find something, but I am not in a hurry either right now.
    "Say the Word"

Hmmm. I may have an opportunity in the North Dallas Area. Long Commute... ....but it could be worth it.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    We had our east coast grandchildren for a sleepover Saturday night. Had to get up too early this morning.