Any Good Movies or DVDs? July 2018 Onward.... - Page 5
Global Justice Alliance

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? July 2018 Onward....

They're really quite good, Linda Thorson just had the bad luck of coming after Diana Rigg--and almost impossible act to follow. The dynamic between Steed and King was also quite a bit different than that between him and Mrs. Peel. I've always seen the pairings like this: 1) Steed was into Cathy Gale, but she wasn't into him. 2) There was mutual attraction between Steed and Mrs. Peel, but nothing ever happened because Emma's husband was never declared dead and Steed was too much of a gentleman to cross that line. 3) He ends up with Tara King as there was both mutual attraction and affection between the two of them and both were available and interested.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I also only remember the Diana Riggs version. Might be worth checking out. I've been flipping through Netflix and happened upon a little gem called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" starring Lily James (You may remember her from the live remake version of "Cinderella"). I found the movie quite charming.
    "Say the Word"

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
    I also only remember the Diana Riggs version. Might be worth checking out. I've been flipping through Netflix and happened upon a little gem called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" starring Lily James (You may remember her from the live remake version of "Cinderella"). I found the movie quite charming.
    I remember Ms. James from her featured role in series 4 & 5 of Downton Abbey, and also as Winston Churchill's secretary in the movie Darkest Hour.
    Last edited by campy; 01-23-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Lat weekend I watched a DVD I recently bought - 1991's Soapdish, starring Sally Field, Kevin Kline, Whoopi Goldberg, and Elisabeth Shue. It's a comedy about a soap-opera star (Sally Field) who goes thru a crisis period, while one of her co-stars (Cathy Moriarty) and the show's producer (Robert Downey, Jr.) decide to try & get rid of Sally by bringing back her old flame, an actor who left the show years before (Kevin Kline). Much hilarity ensues....

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    I've viewed the 2019 Downton Abbey movie twice in the last couple of weeks. It was pretty good if you're a fan of the TV series as I was.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    I bought Frozen II on DVD last weekend and watched it again Saturday night (I first saw it in the theater last fall). Great movie... as good as the first!

I agree, TWD, Frozen II is as good, if not better, than the first. I already ordered the DVD myself, but I'm getting it in 3D (from England where that format is more popular). Yes, I know, it's likely a fading trend, but I really like the 3D effect, especially if I am watching with all the lights in the house turned out to where there is no ambient light. It's a magical effect. I am putting together a fairly good 3D collection, as I am sure that it will not be available in the future. However, I still may need to get the 4K version eventually.....but not until I ever upgrade my TV. Right now all I have is the first generation 4K (with only the 2:4:4 interleaving capability which was very quickly superceded by the 4:4:4. Virtually every movie now requires this, which forced me to buy an interpreting converter to be able to watch 4K on my present TV). It only makes sense, The TV is like 6 years old. If I ever upgrade to an 8K (OLED I think, but this is a big if as I really don't need it), then I'll reconsider how to obtain 4K's in the future for some of the movies I have now. But then again, at this stage of the game, I probably won't bother at all. After all. I'm happy with my 3D's.
    Last edited by jeriddian; 03-11-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    "Say the Word"

Went for cheesy this weekend and caught Fathom. Raquel Welch in a bikini--'Nuff said!

Ooooh, yeah. I remember her back in the Day........way back.....
    "Say the Word"

I just watch films on cable now. Boss Baby was on this morning...it was very entertaining but after awhile I couldn't follow what was happening and fell asleep. I will try again soon.

I saw Arrival, and all I can say is....huh?

Watched Star Trek (2009) again. It took me awhile to adjust, but I really do enjoy the Kelvin Timeline. Shoot me with a phaser, but I like the new cast and the Trek feeling I get from the films.

I forgot, not too long ago I re-watched Wonder Woman. It's... just Wow. Most of my heroes are female.