Any Good Movies or DVDs? July 2018 Onward.... - Page 6
Global Justice Alliance

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any Good Movies or DVDs? July 2018 Onward....

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaglebub View Post
    I saw Arrival, and all I can say is....huh?
    Yeah... I saw that film when it came out in theaters. It was definitely a difficult film to understand. Didn't quite get it in the end either. Netflix has put out an interactive Carmen Sandiego episode which is geared toward the kids, of course, but it was nice to see more of her. It looks like they are going to try and put out a live action stariing the actual voice actor of the character (Gina Rodriguez) before they resume production of Season 3 (The live action will some how create canon storyline that will continue into the third season, or so they are suggesting), so we may not see that third seaons until summer of next year. Bummer....... But I recommend these fist two seaons as it is very reminding of KP herself. I would suggest you try it, BB.
    "Say the Word"

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Last night I pulled out my DVD of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and watched that again. It's one of the best Star Trek films, because of its enjoyable storyline and upbeat theme music. I really felt better after viewing that film.

Since today (Tuesday the 8th) was Star Trek Day - the 54th anniversary of the show's premiere on the NBC network - I pulled out my boxed set of The Original Series (all 79 episodes) and viewed two: Amok Time, where Spock has to return to Vulcan to take a mate or die; and The Doomsday Machine, where the Enterprise gets involved in a battle with an ancient, planet-eating berserker machine when Commodore Matt Decker (William Windom) seizes command of the Enterprise after his own ship, the Constellation, was destroyed by the aforementioned berserker.
    Two episodes of classic Trek at its best....

I also watched a podcast on CBS's website this afternoon in which Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation) interviewed George Takei (Sulu from TOS) and Rod Roddenberry, son of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. They discussed the show's philosophy, and how it affected each of them personally.
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 09-09-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Last night I watched a marvelous film - Robert Downey, Jr's 2009 film Sherlock Holmes. I didn't get to see it in the theaters, so I included it on my Christmas wish list when the DVD came out. But I put it aside & forgot about it until yesterday. It's got drama, witty repartee, action sequences (marvelous fight scenes between Holmes & Watson and the bad guys), and even some romance. As the film went on, I found myself riveted to the screen - that's how good this movie was! I only regret not having watched it sooner!
    I think I have the sequel on DVD as well - I just have to find it wherever it's buried in my stuff. If not, I'll buy a copy.

Administrator Honored Elder jeriddian's Avatar
    I've been watching a few films on Netflix, nothing worth mentioning. But I also saw season three of Carmen Sandiego will be on Netflix on October 1. Can't Wait!
    "Say the Word"

Last night I watched a new DVD I bought for five bucks: Justice League, featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, and a DC hero named the Cyborg (he was created in late 1980 as a member of the Teen Titans). These six heroes band together to stop a creepy alien named Steppenwolf (no, really; that's the character's name) from obtaining three powerful devices called the "mother boxes" and using their energy to take over the Earth.
    It's not a bad film, really - there's good, well-written dialogue between the characters. They come across as real people in the way they interact. And all the actors do an excellent job in portraying their characters. This is Ben Affleck's second time playing Batman; Henry Cavill's third time portraying Superman - it's also Gal Gadot's third time playing Wonder Woman (she'll be seen again as WW in a film to be released on Dec. 25 of this year). There's a good mix of drama and humor in this movie, and the visual effects are outstanding.
    All in all, a pretty good movie - one I unfortunately missed seeing in the cinemas when it came out. I got my money's worth, and then some, with this film.