How Was Your Day? Vol. XIX - Page 5
Global Justice Alliance

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Day? Vol. XIX

Registered User Veteran Member Sentinel103's Avatar
    I have to go to a visitation tomorrow and so the wife ordered, formal kilt.....crud she has no way of knowing how hot that stuff is.

Registered User Senior Member
    Going to try to get some work done around the house. My niece's husband is coming over this weekend to fix my shower--valve has to be replaced and I don't do plumbing.

Late this afternoon I have to be at a visitation until 8. Dressed in a kilt and formal wear. This time of year that stuff is hot.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Hi, guys. Sorry I've been off the forum for a few days, but I've been a little preoccupied - namely, with my health. I spent the last 5 days in the hospital - from Friday to Tuesday - due to a medical crisis I was having.
    For the past few months I'd been experiencing this weird, sharp pain between my shoulder blades, accompanied by a shortness of breath and increased heartbeat. Whenever I felt it, I'd stop and take a rest, during which the pain would go away and I could catch my breath again. Whenever this occurred, I figured it was just some sort of muscle twinge in my upper back - the fact that it went away within five minutes or so fooled me into thinking it was nothing serious - until last Friday.
    The temperature for that day here in Go City was forecast to peak in the 90's, and the old factory/warehouse we were working in had no air conditioning in its basement area where our workspace was located. So, our boss had us bring our laptops upstairs to the air-conditioned conference room where they held training sessions - and where I usually ate my lunch. We spent the whole morning doing nothing more strenuous that looking up information on our boss's corporate database, so imagine my surprise when, right after lunch as I was getting ready to go back to work, I experienced the shoulder pains & breathlessness again!
    Only this time it was worse - I sat there for at least ten minutes, shoulders aching, gasping for breath, and sweating profusely. I finally asked my coworkers to go get the boss, and when she came out I explained the sitch to her. She took me over to the company's medical office, where a very kind nurse took my blood pressure & other vital signs, then summoned an ambulance.
    By the time the ambulance came, however, I felt somewhat better. I declined a ride to the hospital, promising the paramedics and my boss that I would see my doctor that very day - which I did.
    I went to the hospital (our local one, located in my home town) and asked to be seen in the "immediate care" section. The hospital staffer directed me to the Emergency Room, on the other side of the complex. Once I was there, I described my symptoms to the ER doctor, and the next thing I knew I was being fitted out with electrodes on my chest & shoulders (some on my lower legs too!) for a series of EKGs. The doc explained that the EKGs did not look normal, and that he wanted to perform an angiogram on me. This is where they inject dye into my bloodstream, then look at the heart via X-rays to watch the blood flow. But it was so late in the day by the time they came to this decision that I had to wait until Saturday for an angiogram, so I was admitted to the hospital & put in a room.
    The angiogram revealed that I had three blockages in my heart arteries - one was 99% blocked; one was 80-90% blocked; and the third was 20-30% blocked. The cardiologist explained all this to me after the angiogram, and said I needed to have some "stents" put into those arteries to open them up & clear the blockages. Unfortunately, they couldn't do the procedure Saturday afternoon, or on Sunday, so I ended up waiting in the hospital until Monday when they finally did the procedure (they were a half-hour late in working on me, due to a delay with another patient).
    Afterwards, the doctor told me I still needed another stent put in, but that could be done later, on an out-patient visit. I was released mid-day on Monday, and Mom drove me home where I spent most of the day resting in my own bed (and don't get me started about those horrible hospital beds!!). I have three more sets of meds to take in addition to the Losartan I'm taking for my blood pressure - one, Brilinta, I have to take regularly every twelve hours - I even set my alarm clock for the early morning & afternoon so I make sure I take it on time; another, Lipitor, once daily at bedtime; and an 81-miligram low-dose aspirin I take in the morning along with my Losartan. I'm now on a low-sodium diet, and the hospital staff gave me a bunch of brochures & papers on managing my salt intake; and I'm supposed to see my doctor on June 25th as a follow-up to this whole experience, as well as going to see the cardiologist who put the stents in on July 23.
    I'm restricted in my activities for a week - no lifting anything heavier than 8 lbs. (equal to a gallon of water); no activities that involve bending or stooping; and they want me to change some aspects of my lifestyle - get to bed earlier each night (no staying up until 1-2 AM anymore); and get out & get more exercise.
    So right now, I'm just biding my time at home, not doing anything the least bit strenuous, and even lying down on my bed during the day if I feel fatigued.
    My temp job has come to an end, thanks to this crisis; there's no way I'm going back into that hot, muggy factory just to dig through and sort old file folders. While the conditions in that plant may not have caused my illness, they certainly aggravated my condition to the point where I needed medical attention fast. So I spoke to my rep at the temp agency, and she agreed to look for another job assignment for me once I'm well enough to work again.
    So that's how my last five days were - and while I'm glad I got my condition treated before it got any worse, I still wouldn't want to live through those last five days again!
    Last edited by TransWarpDrive; 06-17-2021 at 04:38 AM.

Take it from someone who has a heart condition--do as your cardiologist tells you. Getting used to a low-sodium diet isn't that difficult and you'll find that you'll be able to eat a lot of what you're used to, but you're going to want to do a lot more cooking from home and avoiding prepared foods--home cooking will allow you to control your sodium intake a lot better and most prepared foods are loaded with sodium. Also, pay attention to the labels--especially the percentage and milligrams of sodium. Regular exercise is important--my routine is a morning and evening walk and I work with low-weight (two pound) dumb-bells. Seeing your cardiologist will be a regular thing now. I'm taking Cordiverol to control blood pressure, low dose aspirin, warfarin to prevent blood clotting--don't be surprised if they prescribe a blood thinner down the line for you--amiodarone to control my heart rate (I suffer from arrhythmia), and atavorstatin to keep my cholesterol in check. Get into a routine with your meds and if you can find one, you might want to look into joining a cardiac support group--your cardiologist or local hospital might be able to help you there. One other very important thing--make sure you've got and keep good insurance. Take care and if you need any help on anything, let me know and I'll do my best to help!

Wearing the kilt and a mantle at the visitation was rough. That stuff is hotter than hades. Anyway, it was a 40 mile drive back to my house and I started to crap up. I didn't drink enough water. Sooooo, last night I spent hydrating.

Moderator Venerated Elder TransWarpDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Falkayn View Post
    Take it from someone who has a heart condition--do as your cardiologist tells you. Getting used to a low-sodium diet isn't that difficult and you'll find that you'll be able to eat a lot of what you're used to, but you're going to want to do a lot more cooking from home and avoiding prepared foods--home cooking will allow you to control your sodium intake a lot better and most prepared foods are loaded with sodium. Also, pay attention to the labels--especially the percentage and milligrams of sodium. Regular exercise is important--my routine is a morning and evening walk and I work with low-weight (two pound) dumb-bells. Seeing your cardiologist will be a regular thing now. I'm taking Cordiverol to control blood pressure, low dose aspirin, warfarin to prevent blood clotting--don't be surprised if they prescribe a blood thinner down the line for you--amiodarone to control my heart rate (I suffer from arrhythmia), and atavorstatin to keep my cholesterol in check. Get into a routine with your meds and if you can find one, you might want to look into joining a cardiac support group--your cardiologist or local hospital might be able to help you there. One other very important thing--make sure you've got and keep good insurance. Take care and if you need any help on anything, let me know and I'll do my best to help!
    Thanks for the advice, David. I'm already on a blood thinner - the Brilinta - which I have to take twice a day, every twelve hours. I'm also taking Lipitor for cholesterol; as well as the low dose aspirin in addition to the Losartan I'm already taking for my blood pressure. And yes, I'm already reading the labels for the sodium amount, and here at home we're already eating low-sodium meals. Mom does most of the cooking; and she's been restricting her sodium intake since her heart attack back in the summer of 2010. I'm also making a conscious effort to restrict the amount of salt I put on my food whenever I eat. Next week I'll be keeping two doctor's appointments: one to see my doctor on the 23rd; and the other to visit the nurse-practitioner for my cardiologist on the 25th. I've also put all the print-outs, papers and brochures they gave me at the hospital in a loose-leaf binder, so I can refer to it as needed regarding my medical sitch. I intend to begin exercising again shortly; these last two days I've been taking it easy, resting around the house and not doing anything strenuous. I'll be taking walks around the neighborhood, starting with going down the block and back. And I'll be gradually increasing the distance & duration of the walks as time goes by. One strong motivator: I looked at myself shirtless in the mirror last night, and was appalled by how fat I am. I really want to get that excess weight off so I'm not embarrassed to go around bare-chested any more.

Super Moderator Honored Elder campy's Avatar
    Wow! So the drama, TWD. Hope your doctors can get a handle on your ticker sitch.

Getting shower fixed today. Sent off SACCS assessments for spring semester last night. Without violating FERPA, on the whole I'm pleased with my class's performance.

Had to make an appointment for new tires....getting good ones....okay best ones is sure $$$$.